The cholera disaster unfolding in Haiti is something that might have been prevented with the proper care and precautions. This is not just a third world problem.
Here are some tips on methods to purify water and to be prepared:
- Keep fresh potable water available, where it is in water pouches or large containers.
- Keep a good supply of water purification tablets available.
- There are many different type of tablets available today, so make sure to always read the instructions.
- Tablets have an expiration date and become ineffective after that point.
- Once the bottle has been opened, the tablets must be used within a certain period indicated in the instructions.
- Use sturdy, BPA Free plastic containers when storing water for long periods-up to 5 years.
- Boiling is the most certain way of killing all microorganisms in your water. According to the Wilderness Medical Society, water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes.
- There are many devices on the market that filter out microorganisms. A water filter pumps water through a microscopic filter that is rated for a certain-size organism.
- Supermarket water comes in plastic containers that can leech harmful chemicals into your drinking water.
The best thing to do to make sure you are covered for all disasters it to pick up an all-in-one emergency kit!