The Holiday Season is all about Family reunions, decorations and of course, the delicious spread of holiday dishes. But are you aware that kitchen grease fires make up a large percentage of kitchen household fires? It just takes a split second for grease to ignite. Unfortunately, the ways people try to put out the grease fire, only make it worse. So here are some ways to manage and prevent a grease fire this holiday season!
How to Prevent a Grease Fire:
- Make sure you heat oil slowly for after a while it may go up in flames.
- Make sure NO other liquids are located near the pan of grease.
- Add foods to hot grease carefully.
- NEVER drop foods into the pan, place them in with a fork or tongs
- Have a class ABC fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
- Make sure you watch your cooking! Never leave it unattended.
- If the grease starts smoking, IT IS TOO HOT!
How to Put Out a Grease Fire:
- Never pick up a pan that is on fire.
- Keep pan lids or ovenmits nearby to smother the fire
- Use Baking Soda to put out the fire
- NEVER USE WATER TO PUT OUT A GREASE FIRE!
- NEVER WALK IT OUTSIDE
- Alert others in the home and the fire department immediately
- Make sure to have an emergency kit on hand in case you must leave your home!