How to Prepare For a Power Cut
- Have enough torches ready for everyone in your household. It is not wise to use candles as these are a fire hazard.
- It is a good idea to have a battery powered radio available. Not only will this serve as a source of entertainment, but you can also listen out for updates about the power cut.
- Ensure you have enough batteries to see you through in case all the existing ones die. Also take note of the different battery sizes.
- Try to keep your mobile phone fully charged. The majority of cordless landline phones will not work without electricity. However, if you have a mobile phone charger for your car, you can use that to charge your phone while the power’s out.
- Contact your electricity supplier and inform them of the power cut. They will be able to estimate when your power should be back on.
- Ensure that anyone in your home with an illness or disability will be catered for in the event of a power cut.
- A power cut can occur at any time; therefore it is wise to have an emergency kit ready with food and other essential supplies.
- Keep your summer barbeque. If you have an electric oven, then you’re going to have to cook by other means, a barbeque is the perfect option.
- Identify the most insulated room in advance, preferably with a fire place. This will be the area where your family can gather whilst the power is out.
- Keep enough coal to light the fire. This will provide you with both a source of heat and light in the event of a power cut.
- It is always smart to keep an emergency kit on hand as well.
This article was written by Brian Madden; Online Marketing Assistant at Crown Energy.